Enter your email address to follow my blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.


Two months of dyeing fabric...


I just counted everything and it turns out that I've dyed over 300 pieces of fabric, and let me tell you, I'm exhausted. In my usual obsessive manner, I worked 6 to 7 days a week for at least 9-10 hours, but this will last me a long time, hopefully...

I think I'm in good shape with blue, green and orange...  :)

I spent a few weeks in soywax mode, and from there I discharged for a week. Most of the whole cloth pieces I painted will be cut up and used in future quilts. 

This is the first step: I apply the first layer of fiber reactive dye, let it cure overnight, and let it totally dry the next day. 

I've applied a layer of wax and allowed it to dry completely. I used a brush to apply the wax because I wanted a painterly feel. 

The second layer of dye is applied, and then it cures overnight...

Once the piece is totally dry, I start the process of removing the wax. Most of it is removed by ironing with newspaper. As you can imagine, it's a lot of work when you have a bunch of heavily waxed fabric, and you want to get most of it out so it doesn't jack up your plumbing. I love this iron because it gets really hot! It's a Betty Crocker from the 40's. 

This is the finished product, after 2 or 3 washes in super hot water. I will probably cut this up, or add additional details with fabric paint.

On this one, I dyed multiple layers, waxed and discharged. I'll add additional detailing and quilt it as a whole cloth piece. I can also add interesting texture and change the look with thread, and I look forward to playing around with that.

This piece and the ones below, where made wtih the intent of being cut up, but I've actually grown fond of the gray one, so I may do a little more to it and quilt it.  

I have spend a small fortune on this plastic! Also, I'd be in Home Depot opening all of the boxes to look for a particular variety that was folded a certain way. I must have hit up two or three stores, and I'm sure the employees weren't happy having to tape those back up...   


I dyed each piece of fabric in this way, flat on a pretty sturdy sheet of plastic. I like to control my texture and patterns, so I'm not a huge fan of submerging my fabric in dye baths.


Project Linus 11th Anniversary Celebration


Long Beach Lecture: Trusting Your Creative Process...

I'll be giving a lecture Saturday, July 30, 2011 at the Long Beach International Quilt Show. 


Good news today... 

Two of my quilts, "Life in the City" and "A View from Above" were juried into the 2011 IQA Show in Houston. This is my first time entering, so needless to say, I'm excited. I also have a third quilt that was juried into the "Good for You" contest, and it will debut at the show. So I'll have three quilts in the show this year, wow. I'm pretty jazzed. 




My holiday weekend

I do plan on peeling myself away from the sewing machine at some point today, and I did take the day off yesterday, but I'm nearly done with my next piece and I just want to keep going... :)  I'll take some time and hit the pool and enjoy some BBQ later.