Subscribe

Enter your email address to follow my blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Sunday
Oct232011

A relaxing break...

After all of the dyeing, and prior to that, months of working long hours to meet deadlines, I've enjoyed a decent hiatus. It's nice to be sewing again, and it's fun to work on a few quilts for Project Linus before I start my next project.  :) 

When I start a quilt for Linus, I usually let fabric inspire my design. 

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”  -Dr. Suess 

Wednesday
Oct122011

More good news... 

"Quilts have been selected for the All That Jazz: Improvisational Quilts which will be exhibited in January 19-22, 2012 at Road to California."

Sunset Cinema has been selected to be in this special exhibit curated by Ricky Tims. I'm super honored to be included with such an amazing group of improvisational artists. :)

Congratulations to everyone!

Tuesday
Sep202011

Great news from Houston!

I received a call last week and my quilt "A View from Above" has won a cash award. Quilts: A World of Beauty is held at the International Quilt Festival in Houston. I won't find out until November what I've won, but I was pretty shocked and excited. It's my first time entering, and this is the biggest show in the country. This is my first award. 

In addition, "Life in the City" won an honorble mention, so that was amazing. I will receive two ribbons! 

I'm humbled, grateful and looking forward to going to the show in November. 

Tuesday
Sep202011

Two months of dyeing fabric...

 

I just counted everything and it turns out that I've dyed over 300 pieces of fabric, and let me tell you, I'm exhausted. In my usual obsessive manner, I worked 6 to 7 days a week for at least 9-10 hours, but this will last me a long time, hopefully...

I think I'm in good shape with blue, green and orange...  :)

I spent a few weeks in soywax mode, and from there I discharged for a week. Most of the whole cloth pieces I painted will be cut up and used in future quilts. 


This is the first step: I apply the first layer of fiber reactive dye, let it cure overnight, and let it totally dry the next day. 

I've applied a layer of wax and allowed it to dry completely. I used a brush to apply the wax because I wanted a painterly feel. 

The second layer of dye is applied, and then it cures overnight...


Once the piece is totally dry, I start the process of removing the wax. Most of it is removed by ironing with newspaper. As you can imagine, it's a lot of work when you have a bunch of heavily waxed fabric, and you want to get most of it out so it doesn't jack up your plumbing. I love this iron because it gets really hot! It's a Betty Crocker from the 40's. 

This is the finished product, after 2 or 3 washes in super hot water. I will probably cut this up, or add additional details with fabric paint.

On this one, I dyed multiple layers, waxed and discharged. I'll add additional detailing and quilt it as a whole cloth piece. I can also add interesting texture and change the look with thread, and I look forward to playing around with that.

This piece and the ones below, where made wtih the intent of being cut up, but I've actually grown fond of the gray one, so I may do a little more to it and quilt it.  



I have spend a small fortune on this plastic! Also, I'd be in Home Depot opening all of the boxes to look for a particular variety that was folded a certain way. I must have hit up two or three stores, and I'm sure the employees weren't happy having to tape those back up...   

 

I dyed each piece of fabric in this way, flat on a pretty sturdy sheet of plastic. I like to control my texture and patterns, so I'm not a huge fan of submerging my fabric in dye baths.

Monday
Sep052011

Project Linus 11th Anniversary Celebration